Advocacy and Support of OVC’s
The rapid growth of the HIV/AIDS virus in Africa and throughout the developing world has dramatically impacted the number of children who are newly becoming orphans. With parents dying at an alarming rate, children are left without food, shelter, education or protection. In Uganda, when a parent passes away, children are left with the family members. Unfortunately, most family members are unable to care for the orphans economically. These vulnerable children are often forced into lives of poverty, illiteracy, prostitution, child labour, drug abuse and heightened risk of HIV/AIDS. The organization provides care and support to the orphans and vulnerable children (OVC’s) by
- Raising awareness through advocacy and social mobilization to create a supportive environment for the OVC’s.
- Ensuring access for the OVC’s to essential services including education, health care, food and nutrition.
- Supporting mitigation programmes, such as, orphanages, for orphans and vulnerable children
- Strengthening the capacity of families to care for the OVC’s through economic, psychosocial and other support. READ MORE…….
Psychological and Livelihood Improvement support
- MUMYO gives support to the needy families, orphans and vulnerable children by giving out goats for reproduction, on a rotational basis, to be able to generate income to support their children’s education and other basic needs, over 25 goats were given out during the year.
- Uganda project Implementation and Management Committee (UPIMAC), through Mukono District Administration Probation Office signed an MOU with Naggalama AIDS care and support under MUMYO for a widow/orphans project. Eight widows with orphans were identified and benefited from the project. Every widow was given a she goat and two hens. A serving he goat was also to one of the beneficiaries to serve the she goats in case they mature. The first off springs are to be recovered and given to other widow.
Sustainable Agriculture and Food Security
MUMYO helps youth and farmers in overcoming their production constraints on a sustainable basis through:
- Training in organic farming, agro forestry, and environmental protection, for sustainable food productivity and poverty alleviation.
- Increased access to improved farm inputs, crops and animals, technology and market related information.
- Farmers’ institutional development to enable farmers get access to agricultural advisory services, under the Uganda National Agricultural Advisory Services (NAADS) Programme. READ MORE ……