Agriculture plays a greater role in Uganda’ s economy. it employs over 70% of the country’s population, it contributes to food security, household incomes and economic growth. unfortunately, most people live in poverty and work in rural areas. Many are smallholder farmers who lack land and investment capacity, cultivate impoverished soils, have low productivity and poor access to the market. The smallholder farmers need to get access to knowledge, technical advice, land, affordable financial services and markets for increased productivity. The Sustainable Development Goal 2, aims at ending hunger, achieving food security and improve nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture.
MUMYO helps youth and farmers in overcoming their production constraints on a sustainable basis through:
- Training in organic farming, agro forestry, and environmental protection, for sustainable food productivity and poverty alleviation.
- Increased access to improved farm inputs, crops and animals, technology and market related information.
- Working with Government institutions, such as, the Uganda National Agricultural Advisory Services (NAADS) Programme to enable farmers get access to advisory services,
- From 2004-2009, MUMYO was been involved Farmers Institutional Development, a component of National Agricultural Advisory Services (NAADS) Programme. It was intended to put in place to redress shorting comings and to incorporate best practice features to make extension delivery systems more efficient and efficient and effective.
- Establishing the existing farmer groups, their status and support them to meet the registration criteria.
- Undertaking farmer group development through training in participatory planning and other areas.
- Training group facilitators drawn from farmer groups, who will support farmer group development.
- Educating stakeholders on NAADS
- Monitoring and backstop the facilitators when they are training their fellow members.
- Guiding farmer groups in enterprise selection as well as in identifying related constraints
- Training farmer’s forum in participatory planning. Monitoring, evaluation and budgeting